Saturday, April 9, 2011

Springing Up the Craftiness

Gorgeous days that hold a slight breeze, clear blue skies, and the burst of new life in gardens city-wide begin an awakening in my soul. It just begs to create and contribute to this magnificent world. The additions never need to be big, beautiful, or elaborate; they just need to be something to help me feel alive and well. Yesterday I tried my hand at making a spring-y door decoration: a moss covered "M" monogram. And even though I would do a few things differently, it puts a big grin on my face every time I see it (which is often since it has me opening the front door to check it out every hour or so.) It's the perfect quick and easy addition to get your home spring ready!

To start your project you need the letter (wood, foam, or thick cardboard), a hot glue gun, a pack of sheet moss, tacks, hammer, and ribbon.



To assemble you simply attach the moss to the letter using the hot glue. Once it is all covered (I covered the sides and a small bit of the back as well), you attach the ribbon to two spots. I used tacks because they were handy, but if you have a wood letter you could screw in hooks at the top or use whatever you have around (maybe even hot glue?) to attach.

Finally, hang up and admire!


I learned one major lesson in this project. I am a big supporter of buying the cheaper option if all is equal, but in this case it wasn't. I was given the choice of $3.99 moss that came in sheets but was still loose versus the $6.99 option that was attached to a netting of some sort and all very uniform. I figured that the $3.99 would be sufficient, which it was, but the moss had different textures and colors so it looks a bit sloppy from the front. This is a situation where I would spring the extra 3 bucks and just go with the next level up.

Tegan keeping guard. 

Now I'm itching to go back outside (and check out my snazzy front door)... More later!




LIVE THE MURRAYED LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are kinda the best and brighten my day! :)

And psst... I'd really love to write back, but usually do so through email, so I hope you're not a no-reply commenter!