Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It Takes A Village...

And what a village we have! Last weekend my mom threw me and the little guy a beautiful baby shower where friends truly let their love and generosity rain down. It was such a wonderful feeling to be surrounded by these lovely, strong, supportive women who have been down this road or simply enjoy supporting others on it. I got to catch up with friends both new and old, hear of past baby experiences, enjoy delicious food, and open wonderful gifts. If the adage of "it takes a village to raise a child" is true, then I know that this little dude will be raised right as rain.


The weekend started with a quick visit to my lifelong bestie, Kathryn, who happened to be leaving for Italy that afternoon. Even though she missed the shower (still sporting a sad face on that one), she did get a proper send off from the bean with a kick. I think it was a combo of disappointment and thanks for his favorite blankie come September.


Then came the preparations. My mom admitted that letting me help was one of her gifts to me, and getting to plan and set up this party with my mama was just wonderful. It was like my wedding with beaucoup less stress. Just joy and excitement for the day and times to come.

Friends were first greeted by this beautiful gift from nature.


Once inside, it was up to us to decorate.

My mom sprinkled pansies wrapped in pretty white paper around the house. A perfect way to welcome both spring and new life.
The pom-poms were hand-crafted using a Martha Stewart tutorial. Easy and fun, they added the perfect touch of whimsy.

We had a variety of vegan snacks, including a three types of hummus, a vegetable platter, some freshly baked breads from the farmer's market, and home baked scones and muffins. 


Some macaroons and a cheese platter were the two non-vegan exceptions.  Don't they look lovely?
There were homemade tags to lead guests to the delights of their choosing. 
In lieu of games we decided on asking everyone to leave a note for the baby, the mama, and the papa. These were then hung on a line by the windows for everyone to read, and definitely included some great words of wisdom and love.







Then came the guests. Our lovely, lovely guests. A party can be made or broken by the people who arrive, and to me ours was perfect. 











The present opening commenced with a wonderfully touching reading by Debbie Lippincott, a connecting link between the women. Talking of the love the mother felt for her newborn baby, a connection so deep between two creatures, brought tears to numerous eyes. It was such a different and special way to start a material event; a way to refocus our attention on the reason for the gifts, the little life that is about to be thrust on the world. 


And then came the presents... 





Has there EVER been a cuter lion made? Hand-crafted by the talented Gwennie, this will be treasured for years to come.

So I have to give a huge thank you to everyone who helped make this day so special. Not only do I feel better prepared, but I now know that it is totally possible to deck a little man in adorable goods. What a lucky family we are.

LIVE THE MURRAYED LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are kinda the best and brighten my day! :)

And psst... I'd really love to write back, but usually do so through email, so I hope you're not a no-reply commenter!