Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Dawning of a Musical Miracle



"What's Napster?" Kathryn asked, seeing the little green face on my desktop.

"No idea. Robert told me to download it months ago. It's so confusing that I just leave it alone."

There we sat in my lime green room, Backstreet Boys watching over us from a prime spot on my wall while Christina Aguilera set the mood, trying to figure out what this Napster thing was all about without the help of (then nonexistent) Google. After many minutes spent waiting on load bars and answering AIM pings and trying to figure out exactly what song we wanted, somehow we ended up with two: Video Killed the Radio Star and Tony Orlando's Knock Three Times.

I have no idea how we got them. I'd never heard of either.

We danced around in our Old Navy bell bottoms and belted lyrics like it was our job, adding the Dixie Chicks version of Can't Hurry Love about an hour in. We were ahead of the game, taking technology by the reins and letting loose. CDs be damned- we could get any song we chose.  Well, any song that we chose and could find and actually had an adequate version of but pshhh...  minor details.

High on our Tony Orlando loving horse, we called it a night, leaving ten songs in the queue and waking up to three usable ones in the morning. It was the dawning of a new decade, and it was nothing short of a miracle.

LIVE THE MURRAYED LIFE

5 comments:

  1. I thought the original topic of this post was "A childhood memory. Remember Miss Dorsey??". I was going to respond with, "I don't remember Miss Dorsey from childhood, but I do remember Captain Underpants."

    And then it dawned on me...

    Miss Dorsey is a friend you highlighted in your status update.

    Well, at least I was able to name Drop Captain Underpants.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the original topic of this post was "A childhood memory. Remember Miss Dorsey??". I was going to respond with, "I don't remember Miss Dorsey from childhood, but I do remember Captain Underpants."

    And then it dawned on me...

    Miss Dorsey is a friend you highlighted in your status update.

    Well, at least I was able to name Drop Captain Underpants.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you're wearing pink.

    of course.

    and of course we'll be having dance offs. really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I were talking about this recently how you would choose a song and not know till hours later if you could even listen to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Napster and mix CDs. Also AIM. Three things our sons will never know or be able to comprehend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are kinda the best and brighten my day! :)

And psst... I'd really love to write back, but usually do so through email, so I hope you're not a no-reply commenter!